Cornelius E. Tierney/Ernst & Young Research Award
Please use this form to complete your nomination. Nominators should complete Sections I–IV and submit the nomination by the deadline. (These materials may be reproduced and distributed freely.)
Purpose and Overview
Each year, AGA presents one crystal award and a $1,000 check to formally recognize individuals who throughout their careers (minimum of 15 years) have made continuous contributions to governmental financial management by their direct participation in research activities and/or through their encouragement and support of others engaged in government financial management research.
The nominated researcher(s), through their individual efforts, enhanced the image and effectiveness of government accountants, auditors and financial managers by their efforts in one or more of the following areas:
- Basic Research—The gathering of information on a systemic basis for a fuller knowledge or understanding of governmental financial management, thereby contributing to the improvement of government management policies, procedures and practices.
- Applied Research—The application of knowledge leading to the development of new methods and techniques for governmental financial management, thereby contributing to the improvement of the image, operations, control and accountability of government.
- Education—Basic and applied research relating to the education of government accountants and financial managers, thereby enhancing their technical and operational capabilities.
Nominees do not have to be members of AGA.
AGA chapters, individuals or government units may make nominations.
AGA Chapters are limited to one nomination that must be endorsed by an authorized Chapter representative.
AGA will nationally recognize the recipient at a special awards ceremony during the Annual PDC.
Formal name with designations (i.e. CGFM, CPA, etc.) as it might appear on an award
Phone number and email
Description of Accomplishments
This section must include the following components:
Principal researcher's experience, including publications and research:
- Synopsis of the purpose of the research.
- Users and beneficiaries of the research.
- Benefits of implementing the conclusion of the research.
- Sponsors and supports of the research (both monetary and in-kind).
- Description of the recipients of the research report, including published journals and periodicals.
- A copy of the actual research paper or report as developed and any published versions.
II. Biographical Sketch of Nominee
List the nominee's education and any other pertinent background information that will assist in evaluating the nominee's achievements.
For use as the formal award citation, succinctly (using two or three sentences) describe the highlights of the accomplishments, particularly impact and results.
IV. Nominator Information
Full address of nominator (AGA will send you a copy of our letter to the nominee.)
Phone Number and E-mail Address (in case we have questions about this package)
Are you representing an AGA Chapter?
____Yes, the __________________ Chapter ____No
Your AGA chapter leadership position, if applicable
How to Prepare and Submit Your Entry
Please use this form to complete your nomination. Nominators should complete Sections I–IV and submit the original nomination by the deadline. (You do not have to send copies of the package.)
The Microsoft Word version of this form are available online at Awards & Recognition
Please take care to ensure your nomination is a complete document and includes all the information requested. Do not submit several nominations bound by one cover letter that contains contact information—EACH nomination should be a stand-alone document.
Electronic submissions should be ONE file. Please do not send the description of accomplishments separate from the nominee's bio. Include all information in one e-file.
- Nominations may be submitted electronically, by fax, by mail, or in person.
- Include a high-resolution .JPG photo file of the nominee.
- File your submission by the deadline indicated below.
- Electronic nominations do not require original signature.
The original nomination package must be received by 5 p.m. Eastern time on Friday, March 29, 2013
Late nominations will be encouraged to resubmit the following year—they will not be returned.
All applicants will be notified of the National Awards Committee's decision approximately 6 weeks after the deadline.
Submit Your Entry To
All nominations should be submitted to the attention of the AGA National Awards Committee Staff Liaison.
Mail: 2208 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22301-1314