Note: This course is sold out. No further registrations will be accepted.
Interested in the CGFM certification? Sign up for AGA’s Intensive Review Course and take the CGFM Examinations after the NLC. Don’t miss this opportunity to earn your CGFM.
The Intensive Review Course will take place 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. on Monday, Feb. 25, and Tuesday, Feb. 26, 2013. The CGFM Examinations will be offered by appointment only on February 27-28, 2013.
The cost of the course is only $279 for qualified participants, and offers 18 CPE hours.
Special Bonus: The CGFM Examinations are offered at no cost to course attendees. The cost of this course is not included in the NLC registration fee.
BEFORE YOU REGISTER, PLEASE READ:
• What is the Intensive Review Course? It is a special, limited enrollment opportunity for those individuals who have already been studying for the CGFM Examinations and want extra reinforcement of the material. An instructor reviews the main topics covered in the examinations, and can explain concepts, provide examples and answer questions for those who chose the self-study option. For those who took the AGA instructor-led courses, it is a refresher. Because the examinations are offered at no cost to attendees, the course saves money on the exam fees. It is a great way to set a deadline for completing your certification examinations and get it done!
• What it is NOT: It is not a shortcut. The Intensive Review Course is not a substitute for the three AGA instructor-led training courses. It is usually not enough by itself to prepare for the CGFM Examinations. Advance preparation is strongly recommended. It is not an exam prep course with strategies on how to pass the exams.
To participate in this event, individuals must:
1) Apply for the CGFM Program by submitting the CGFM application form, fee and college transcript. See Eligibility section below.
2) Pre-register for this event. Walk-ins are not accepted.
The complete application for the CGFM Program must be submitted BEFORE or TOGETHER with the Intensive Review Form. Registrations for this event will not be confirmed until after the CGFM application is accepted. Registrations without the completed form will not be accepted.
Cancellation deadline: All cancellations must be received by January 28, 2013; refunds will not be granted after this date.
Registration deadline: Registrations will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. Space is limited, and the event may fill up and close before the registration deadline, so we encourage you to sign up early. Registrations will not be accepted after February 15, 2013.
The Intensive Review Course and the CGFM Examinations will be held in Alexandria, VA near King Street Metro. The exact address will be provided to all registered attendees.
The facilities for this event are provided by Grant Thornton LLP.
To attend the Intensive Review Course and/or take the CGFM Examinations, participants must first apply and be accepted into the CGFM Program.
Candidates need to submit the CGFM Program application form with $85 application fee and a copy of a transcript from an accredited college or university.
The transcript must show that a degree (bachelor’s or higher) was awarded and list at least 24 credit hours of courses in financial management or related topics. The applicant’s name and the name of the college or university must appear on all transcripts. Please see CGFM Education requirement for more information.
In addition, those individuals who want to complete their CGFM at this event need to submit a Work Verification Form listing at least two years of professional-level government financial management experience.
If you have already taken a CGFM Examination and did not pass, you must satisfy the waiting period before taking that CGFM Examination at this event.
Course and Materials
• Outline concepts and realities of public accountability.
• Understand government organization at all levels.
• Comprehend interaction among levels of government.
• Understand what to tax and why.
• Understand the need for and practice of internal control.
• Understand how and what kind of audits are conducted in government.
• Meet the responsibilities of government managers in providing accountability for the public trust.
• Learn about techniques for managing cash, investments, loan programs, inventory, procurement, property management and financial management systems.
• Understand governmental accounting standards, financial reporting practices and budgeting approaches.
• Apply the standards, practices and approaches by the federal, state and local governments.
• Understand financial statements issued by federal, state and local governments.
Fields of Study: Finance – 3 CPE hours, Auditing (Governmental) – 6 CPE hours, Accounting (Governmental) – 9 CPE hours.
Course Prerequisite: Only eligible CGFM candidates can participate in this course (see Eligibility section above). Prior attendance of GFM training course(s) or purchase of the CGFM Study Guides is not required, but is strongly encouraged.
Advance Prep: Review of CGFM Examinations content outlines and studying for the CGFM Examinations.
No materials will be provided at the Intensive Review Course. However, participants are encouraged to order CGFM Study Guides at least six weeks before the course date. For more information on study guides visit Preparing for CGFM Examinations.
The cost of the study guides is not included in the price of the Intensive Review Course.
Three time slots are available for the CGFM Examinations to be held on February 27-28, 2013:
• 8:30 – 11:30 a.m.
• Noon – 3 p.m.
• 3:30 – 6:30 p.m.
The actual exam time is limited to 2 hours and 15 minutes.
Space is limited, so participants are encouraged to send in the registration form indicating their preference for an examination date and time as soon a possible. Some of the time slots may fill up and no longer be available. We will confirm your registration and indicate whether we are able to accommodate your request for the particular examination time slot(s).
Individuals who want to take the CGFM Examinations at this event without attending the review course can do so by following the same registration procedures. The cancellation and registration deadlines are the same, and the exams can only be taken during the dates/times and at the location specified above. The fee for taking the three CGFM Examinations without participating in the course is the same as the Intensive Review Course fee—see the review form for more details.
The CGFM Examinations are:
• Examination 1—Governmental Environment
• Examination 2— Governmental Accounting, Financial Reporting and Budgeting
• Examination 3—Governmental Financial Management and Control
More detailed information on CGFM Examinations content can be found on CGFM Examinations requirement.
The examination results will be available immediately.
You must be at the CGFM Examination registration desk at least 15 minutes prior to the testing time to check in. If you are not at the registration desk at the start of your examination time slot, we cannot guarantee your requested time slot.
Please bring a valid photo ID to the CGFM Examination registration desk—Your ID must match the name you provide on the Intensive Review Course Registration Form and on the CGFM Program application form and must contain a photograph and a signature.
Personal belongings, including food, drink, papers, books, writing utensils, electronic and other organizers, cameras, cell phones, beepers, briefcases, bags, purses, pocketbooks and hats may not be brought near the testing computer station and must be left in the designated area within the testing room. Scratch paper, a pen and a calculator will be provided.
For more information, please contact Crystal Vanison, Certification Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800.AGA.7211, ext. 316. Thank you!