CGFM Examinations Update
To ensure the CGFM Examinations’ content continues to reflect the current government financial management field, AGA periodically conducts a Job Analysis Study of the role of government financial manager. The latest Job Analysis Study was conducted in 2013 and, as a result, the CGFM Examinations will be updated in 2014.
The revised examinations content outlines can be found here
. The schedule of the update is as follows:
- Current CGFM Examinations using the existing content outlines will be administered until March 31, 2014.
- Starting on April 1, the CGFM Examinations will follow the updated content outlines.
- From April 1 to May 31, CGFM Examinations will be in the initial (beta) period: the updated examinations will be administered in Pearson VUE testing centers; however, the scores will not be reported to the candidates taking these examinations until the week of June 30. CGFM Examinations taken during this beta period will be offered at a discounted rate of $89 per exam (to get the discount, enter “2014 BETA” promo code when scheduling your appointment with Pearson VUE). In addition, individuals taking the CGFM Examinations during this beta period will receive FREE access to the 2014 version of corresponding CGFM study guide(s) from the end of March until May 31 (to get your access, schedule your CGFM testing appointment for April or May and forward your testing appointment confirmation email from Pearson VUE to email@example.com).
- There will be no CGFM Examinations administered in June 2014.
- Starting on July 1, 2014, the updated CGFM Examinations will resume (with immediate score reporting).
If you are planning on taking the exams after April 1
, AGA is in the process of revising the three CGFM study guides to reflect the updated examinations content outlines. The updated study guides will be available in March 2014. AGA is also offering two Intensive Review Courses that will cover the updated examinations content outlines on March 31–April 1
in Washington, DC and April 2–3
in Oklahoma City. Visit this link
for more information.
Please review the Frequently Asked Questions
below about the examinations update. AGA also recently hosted an informational webinar to review the exam update schedule and answer questions from participants. To listen to the webinar, click here
. If you have any additional questions, contact Katya Silver
in the Office of Professional Certification at 800.AGA.7211, ext. 305.
Exam Update FAQs
Q: What is different about the CGFM Examinations administered in April and May 2014?
A: CGFM Examinations administered in April and May 2014 (beta period) are the same examinations (same content, number of questions and timeframe) as the regular examinations, but do not provide an immediate score (scores will be available during the week of June 30). CGFM Examinations taken during this beta period will be offered at a discounted rate of $89 per exam (to get the discount, enter “2014 BETA” promo code when scheduling your appointment with Pearson VUE). In addition, individuals taking the CGFM Examinations during this beta period will receive FREE access to the 2014 version of corresponding CGFM study guide(s) until May 31.
Q: If I pass a CGFM Examination in April or May 2014, will it count towards my CGFM?
Q: I still have the three CGFM Examinations to pass. Can I take one CGFM Examination in March, one in April and one in July?
A: Yes, and, if passed, all will count towards the CGFM. The one taken in March will follow the existing content outline and the ones in April and July will follow the updated content outlines.
Q: If I don’t pass an exam in April or May, will it have the same waiting period as the regular exams?
A: Yes (however, the scores will not be known until the week of June 30).
Q: If I take exams in April, can I find out my score before June?
A: No. In order to have high-quality CGFM Examinations, we need to collect statistics and analyze exams given during the initial (beta) testing period of April and May before we can report scores to the candidates. Those exam scores will be available during the week of June 30.
Q: What if my eligibility expires while I am waiting for my scores from April and May exams?
A: If you take and don’t pass the CGFM Examinations during the initial (beta) period and your eligibility expires in the April through July timeframe, contact AGA’s Office of Professional Certification for an extension to complete your exams.
Q: What areas are new on the examinations?
A: A lot of objectives on the CGFM Examinations content outlines were revised, some were re-ordered and some were added, so we recommend reviewing the entire updated content outlines, rather than selected areas. That said, we would like to point out that CGFM Examination 1 has completely new content for its Section VII.
Q: Can I use my existing study guides to prepare for the CGFM Examinations?
A: While a lot of objectives on the examination content outlines remained the same, there were a number of revised objectives. If you are planning to utilize the CGFM Study Guides for preparation, we recommend ordering the 2014 editions of the study guides that will be available in March. In addition, individuals taking the CGFM Examinations during the beta period (April and May 2014) will receive FREE access to the 2014 version of corresponding CGFM study guide(s) until May 31.