Why Hire a Certified Government Financial Manager?
CGFM exemplifies experience and proficiency, distinguishing individuals who have made a significant commitment to their professional development. A CGFM has:
Increased knowledge of government financial management: CGFMs must pass three rigorous examinations, covering key topics including federal, state and local accounting and reporting; financial management functions; performance measurement; internal controls and auditing.
Better understanding of the big picture of government: CGFMs recognize how the different components of government financial management fit together, and they understand their role in the process.
Greater confidence on the job: The CGFM certification is directly applicable to the everyday duties of government financial professionals, at every level. It can help a new employee hit the ground running, while enhancing the performance of existing employees.
Demonstrate your organization's commitment to excellence:
- Seek CGFMs for employment
- Encourage current staff to enroll in the CGFM program as part of his or her professional development
- Reimburse CGFM certification costs (application, training and examination fees)
- Support preparation efforts – set aside time during the work day for studying
- Bring CGFM courses to your location to educate your staff and help candidates prepare for examinations
- Offer financial incentives or promotions to those who earn their CGFM