Chapter History

The Seattle Chapter received its charter from the then Federal Government Accountants Association (FGAA) in 1957. Its first president was F. Ray Bandy from the Government Accountability Office, and membership consisted of 41 federal employees primarily from the Army Audit Agency and the Government Accountability Office, the two primary federal civil audit agencies in existence at that time. When membership was opened to state and local accountants and auditors, the Chapter’s membership rose substantially. Today, the Seattle chapter is comprised of nearly 70 members from all levels of Government and private industry from the Seattle, Tacoma, Bellevue, Everett, Kirkland and surrounding areas. Many of our members hold multiple certifications including the CGFM, CPA, and CFE.

In 1975, Floyd R. Seuss, from the Washington State Auditor’s Office, became the first non-federal president of the Seattle Chapter. Two years later John W. Noah, became the second State Auditor to serve as chapter president. Since its inception, the Seattle chapter has had a number of Presidents, including A. Oliver Holm (VA), Carl E. Weber (GAO), Francis X. Marshall (DOT), and Marvin A. Weiss, (HUD), each of whom have served two terms and Richard (Rick) Osborn, (State Auditor’s Office & Sound Transit) who has served three times.

Over the years, the Chapter has provided a variety of luncheon meeting speakers, but for the past several years has sponsored meeting topics and speakers which primarily provide continuing professional education credit. For a number of years, the Chapter sponsored an annual symposium held at various hotels in the Greater Seattle area. In the spring of 1999, the Chapter began jointly sponsoring an annual conference with the Washington Society of CPAs.

© 2017,  AGA Our Chapter. All rights reserved.