NextWave Federal Finance Leadership Program
The inaugural cohort concluded July 2022. Congratulations to the Team! Please check back as the 2022-2023 application opens in the fall of 2022.
Master leadership skills to inspire, empower and influence outcomes.
The NextWave Federal Finance Leadership Program (NextWave) will enhance participant's own purpose to build the vision, teams and infrastructure needed to realize the finance organization of the future. The Program's objective is to provide a platform and voice for transformative thinkers and leaders to reimagine the finance function within the Federal government.
The program is open to experienced GS 13-15’s (or equivalent) in federal financial management who have a goal of becoming a financial organization leader, SES, DCFO or CFO.
The NextWave program includes three phases that each have an educational component (featuring lectures) as well as an interactive component where participants will engage with current federal CFOs/DCFOs to challenge the status quo in a safe environment. The Program also includes a booklet with structured exercises to be used as a self-reflection tool. The program's final component is a team capstone that is designed to simulate real-life transformation opportunity development. In person attendance is a requirement for the 2023 cohort. Sessions will take place in Washington, DC.
CPE credits are offered during discrete elements of the curriculum. Participants are eligible to earn up to 6 CPE credits.
Phase 1: Better Me
- Participants identify their personas and the attributes of CFO roles that inspire their personal and professional growth needed to achieve a transformative culture. The self-relfection is a critical component of developing future leaders.
- Time commitment: 2 educational sessions featuring lectures and 1 interactive session - approximately 12 hours
Phase 2: Better Us
- Participants reimagine how the government can deploy OCFO functions that deliver higher value experiences for government employees and key stakeholders.
- Time commitment: 2-3 educational sessions featuring lectures and 1 interactive session - approximately 12 hours
Phase 3: Better Working World
- Participants will have the opportunity to learn from finance executives about how they have affected change throughout their career and the lessons they learned from the experiences.
- Time commitment: 2 educational sessions featuring lectures and 1 interactive session – approximately 12 hours
Capstone Group Project
- Participants translate their learning and experiences into an executive presentation and actionable report on how to achieve transformational success in a selection of complex challenges facing today's financial organizations.
- Time commitment: Interactive team assignment - approximately 28 hours
Application Process and Fee
Please note that this notice kicks off the application phase of the NextWave program. Also note, applicants may also be scheduled for an interview before the selection of program participants is finalized. You will be contacted by 12/9/2022 if you are selected for the second phase of the application process, an interview.
For Cohort 2023, a maximum of 30 individuals will be accepted into the program. In person attendance is a requirement for the 2023 cohort. Sessions will take place in Washington, DC.
AGA is proud to offer this leadership program at no charge with the support of our Corporate Partner EY.